I have been wanting to try cupcakes from scratch and decided with Summer here, that my first trial would be a Pink Lemonade cupcake with Pink Lemonade frosting topped with pink sugar. Let me tell you they were AWESOME!
The first step is to get everything you need. In the photo I am missing the hot pink coloring that I used, also I swapped out egg whites with meringue powder and water.
Yields: 12-18 cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 tsp meringue powder
- 8 tbsp water
- 2/3 cup thawed frozen Pink Lemonade Concentrate
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 (or so) drops of red/pink food coloring (I used AmeriColor – Electric Pink)
- 6 cups + 3 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. pink lemonade concentrate
- 4 (or so) drops of red/pink food coloring (I used AmeriColor – Electric Pink)
Directions for the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, meringue powder, water and pink lemonade concentrate.
- Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until just smooth.
- Add just enough food coloring to turn the batter a light shade of pink.
- Scoop batter into liners (fill about three-fourths full).
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
Directions for the Lemonade Butter-cream
- Add the butter, confectioner’s sugar, salt, lemon juice, and a few drops of food coloring to the stand mixer and mix on low using the paddle attachment until combined.
- Turn the speed to med-high until the butter-cream is fluffy and uniformly pink.
Let the cupcakes cool in the pan, placed on a rack for about 10 minutes, or until cool to touch. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
Top cooled cupcakes with frosting, I piped mine out then dipped in pink colored sugar to give it a glitter look.